Ashwagandha Hot Cacao
The first time I tried Ashwagandha I hated it. It was one of the first adaptogens I bought. I kid you not, I thought in my head, “how do people drink this?” I was a little heartbroken because I spent a pretty penny on the good stuff, but I was determined to find a recipe I could enjoy it in after hearing about its benefits.
Ashwagandha literally translates to, “the smell and strength of a horse” and referred to as “Indian Ginseng.” I can truthfully say it does smell a bit like horse hair. But, it does also have the incredible strength of one as well. Adaptogens are such powerful little herbs and I can’t get enough of them. Ashwagandha, in particular, can reduce the effects of stress. Whether it be mental, physical, or even emotional, Ashwagandha is a powerhouse. It gives you energy and stamina while simultaneously toning the immune system. That’s right, this is the perfect drink for fall and winter. But feel free to drink this at any time of the year. A popular belief in Ayurveda states that our health during the Winter is a reflection of how we treated our bodies during the summer. I love this! I’ve been seriously trying to build my immune system this summer for the months ahead in Western PA.
This drink is literally froth heaven.
So here we go!
- 1/2 Tsp. Sun Potion Organic Ashwagandha
- 1 Tsp. Organic Cacao Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Organic Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp. Organic Vanilla
- 1 Tbsp Organic Ghee
- 1 Tbsp Collagen Peptides
- 1 Spoonful of Local Honey (Sweeten to your liking)
- Sprinkle of Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 Cup of Homemade or Store Bought Almond Milk
Heat the Almond milk on the stove for a couple minutes, just before boiling. Pour into blender with the rest of the ingredients and blend for 20-30 seconds or until frothy. Pour it into a mug and garnish with a dash of cinnamon on top.
Nourishing with Intention
- Ashwagandha has endless benefits including immunity, vitality, and lessens the effects of stress hormones.
- Cacao powder is crazy high in antioxidants, magnesium, and calcium. It’s an anti-depressant and plant-based source of iron.
- Cinnamon wards off sugar cravings by stabilizing blood sugar. It also aids in digestion by warming the intestinal tract (similar to ginger.)
- Ghee provides a gut-nourishing source of healthy fats and creates lasting energy when mixed with cacao.
- Local honey boosts the immune system.
- Pink Himalayan Salt creates an electro-light balance, balances pH, lowers blood pressure, has the ability to strengthen bones, and aid in metabolizing.
- Collagen Peptides provide gut-healing nourishment and contain a high source of protein while nourishing the skin.
- Organic Vanilla has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Ghee for Coconut Oil or Coconut Butter to make it vegan (Still remains creamy)
- Collagen Peptides for plant-based protein powder to make it vegan
- Agave nectar for honey to make it vegan